Re: Does the official QA process use HDD for OSD?

[ Moving to Ceph dev list instead of kernel ceph-devel. ]

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM Satoru Takeuchi
<satoru.takeuchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I shared my knowledge about the bugs which my team encountered and two
> proposals to improve the official QA process in Ceph Virtual.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENvDbgX4n38
> https://speakerdeck.com/sat/revealing-bluestore-corruption-bugs-in-containerized-ceph-clusters
>
> One of my proposals depends on the assumption that the official QA
> doesn't use HDD.
> It's because my team revealed many bugs in OSD creation/restart only
> in HDD-based clusters.
> Could you tell me whether my assumption is correct or not?

It's possible to run the test on hard drives, and developers still
schedule them there sometimes, but doing so is quite expensive at this
point (just because it takes a while to set up hard-drive based test
nodes and takes longer to get a suite run completed against your
branch) and so most of the lab is SSD/NVME based.

I'm not sure if we run any HDD-based tests prior to releases or on a
regular basis; I think Yuri can answer that question.
-Greg