Red Hat’s Ceph team is moving to IBM

Today IBM and Red Hat announced some big news related to Ceph: the
Ceph storage team at Red Hat is moving to IBM [1]. This is a joint
IBM/Red Hat decision, and represents a large investment in the
continued growth and health of Ceph and its community.

This is great news for upstream Ceph! Our project’s governance model
and operation stays the same. Ceph continues to be 100% open-source,
and IBM will continue to contribute with an upstream-first approach.

IBM recognizes the success of Ceph is due to its vibrant community and
shares our vision of a broad, collaborative open source project. IBM
will assume Red Hat’s sponsorship of the Ceph Foundation and help
support Ceph’s upstream test lab.

We are incredibly excited about this new milestone for Ceph, and look
forward to this new chapter. Ceph has come a long way from Sage Weil’s
PhD project. Ceph is used in thousands of production clusters
totalling several exabytes of data today, and is the leading open
source software-defined storage solution. Since 2004, the Ceph project
has envisioned transforming the storage industry to rely on fully open
source software, and this is a great endorsement and realization of
this transformation.

We are very thankful to everyone who has contributed to Ceph’s success
over the years. Our commitment to developing robust, scalable, open
storage platforms continues, and we look forward to the future of
storage, with a renewed interest in large-scale bare metal clusters.
Together, let’s keep pushing the boundaries of storage!

Ceph Executive Council
Neha Ojha, Josh Durgin, Dan van der Ster

[1] https://newsroom.ibm.com/2022-10-04-IBM-Redefines-Hybrid-Cloud-Application-and-Data-Storage-Adding-Red-Hat-Storage-to-IBM-Offerings