Ceph Leadership Team notes — September 7

We had two topics of note today.

Ernesto wanted to discuss standards around HEALTH_WARN versus
HEALTH_ERR versus HEALTH_OKAY, since we historically distinguished
those on the availability and durability of data, but are starting to
extend it to additional features — specifically, Grafana in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/46925. We figured that was fine
since generally these additional features support data availability.
Also, admins can mute warnings and errors they aren't interested in.

Next, we discussed ongoing issues in the sepia lab's testing
infrastructure. This is fallout from the switch to C++20. We have
known for a while that we need to switch the Jenkins builders to use
containerized builds for repeatability and safety, instead of relying
on installing packages on static hosts. Ernesto has an existing PR in
progress to do containerized builds and said he could resurrect that —
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/46071. David volunteered his group
to help with the container-internal aspects as well. Hopefully this
will bear fruit and stabilize us against issues when enabling new
features and dependencies in the future.
-Greg