Re: Progress of Crimson Project

Hello Guotao,

> I wonder how the Crimson project is going, Which version is planned
for official release?

Crimson project is still under development, please refer to the latest
main branch and crimson PRs to understand the status and the on-going
efforts.

As far as I know, there are on-going features related to multiple-CPU
support, snapshot, deployment, device tiering(with SSD, ZNS, RBM,
HDD), RGW support, with corner cases and missing features being
discovered from qa tests, etc. More contributors can help to
accelerate these tasks that are all essential to the Crimson project.

> In terms of performance, are there any significant improvements?

The major goal is to build up the solution scalable with CPUs, then
iteratively optimize the performance from basic implementations. The
previous efforts had addressed the performance issues from excessive
transaction conflicts and garbage cleaning. And there is an on-going
work to optimize the extent indexing part, identified by the most
recent analysis. There will be a session in cephalocon about how we
have iterated on the analysis and improvements, in hope to attract
more efforts to this area.

--
Regards,
Yingxin