CLT Meeting 2022-06-29 Notes

Using mergify to automatically backport PRS
  • Would involve placing a special label on PRs to automate a backport.
  • Intended only for documentation pull requests
  • already implemented for /doc/releases/**
  • Some discussion of automating the releases page in our docs to always pull info from the main branch to avoid needing to backport changes there. Seems like a good idea, but somebody would have to figure out how to implement it. David Galloway looking into it.
Do we need to run all unit tests on every PR or can do some sort of subset with randomization as it's done in teuthology
  • Definitive agreement that it's best to run all unit tests on all PRs
Removing the "master" branch from the main Ceph repo entirely
  • still a lot of PRs targeted for master branch
  • David Galloway slowly retargeting them to main (retargeting triggers a lot of Jenkins jobs, so only doing a few at a time)
  • Possibly some PR scrubbing should be done
  • Once all PRs are retargeted we may be able to delete the branch
Enabling auto-signoff for commits created with Github Web UI
  • Intended mostly for small updates to documentation PRs
  • Might make it less tedious for new contributors making small updates to there PRs
  • will likely need to update mailmap to include the emails generated by the auto-signoff. Luckily they appear to be static.
Reminder that CDM is next week July 6th
Final Octopus release soon
  • Trying to test and merge remaining open backports
  • After those are done, and state of branch is reviewed, will begin testing for a potential release
Jitsi Experiment
  • CLT call and a few other Ceph meetings (orchestrator standup at least) have been trying Jitsi as a potential replacement for bluejeans
  • Some general discussion around what different groups are using for their meetings. Mostly bluejeans or Google meet.
  • Google meet has issues that you must grant access to those without a Google account
  • We haven't recorded any meetings yet with Jitsi. Was mentioned these recordings might get placed in a dropbox account of whoever is the host of the meeting.
  • Will need to experiment with recording with Jitsi before we can make a decision moving forward on what we'd like to use.