Enforcing CODEOWNER approvals in the Pacific branch

Hi Ceph devels,

As part of the retrospective on the recent 16.2.8 issue (please see my previous email in this list about the "Ceph Leadership Team Meeting") we agreed on trying out the enforcement of CODE OWNERS in the Pacific branch.

What's the rationale:
  • We think that the 16.2.8 issue might have been detected if the PR where the issue was introduced would have been reviewed by team members from the components involved.
  • The idea of enforcing this in Pacific alone is to first run a trial on a branch with less activity than "main" or "quincy", and therefore where the overhead of this trial is less impacting.
And what's the impact for developers:
  • For a PR to be mergeable, GitHub will now require at least 1 approval from a member of each CODE OWNER team identified. GitHub relies on the CODEOWNERS file of each branch to map the files modified by a PR to the GitHub users or teams "owning" those files.
  • It's also expected that key component teams:
Please share here any feedback/issues that you experience with this. And remember that this is just a trial and its goal is not to add more burden to the backporting process, but on the contrary to help reviewers focus on the sensitive PRs where their attention could make a difference.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Ernesto