Re: QUIC in ceph

I tried to capture the existing discussion in etherpad: https://pad.ceph.com/p/quic
please add anything missing and more ideas/questions there.

Yuval

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 5:19 PM Janne Johansson <icepic.dz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Den tors 24 mars 2022 kl 14:53 skrev Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> for a while now i've been following the QUIC protocol's development,
> with a long-term goal of supporting HTTP/3 in rgw. QUIC also looks
> attractive for use in ceph's Messenger for cluster communications
>
> * for rgw, there's a corresponding lack of support from S3 clients and
> official SDKs. we may have to build our own S3 clients for any
> prototyping/performance work

As soon as there is such a client, one could easily put something like
Caddyserver in front of the rgw to get QUIC over the external parts of
the whole network link, even if it takes a bit longer for the rgw
server part to grow QUIC support. I guess quick resume would give
large S3 sync operations and bulk uploads quite a boost.

> anyway, i'm hoping to start some rgw projects around this sometime
> after the quincy release. i also wanted to start the conversation and
> gauge interest from the rest of ceph. let me know what you think

Sounds very interesting.