Re: Ceph Leadership Team meeting 2022-02-23

Hi Ilya,

> > Main topic in CLT call this week was backports with a few Quincy updates
> >

> > Backports
> >
> > Backport team is now only 1 person
> > Devs need to mostly handle backports themselves
>
> So is it preferable to make backport issues/PRs without waiting for
> the stable team's action? If yes, it seems to be better to revise the
> following description.
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/SubmittingPatches-backports.rst#creating-backport-tracker-issues
> ```
> Under ordinary circumstances, the developer who merges the master PR
> will flag the master tracker issue for backport by changing the Status
> to "Pending Backport", and volunteers from the Stable Releases and
> Backports team periodically create backport tracker issues by running
> the backport-create-issue script. They also do the actual backporting.
> But that does take time and you may not want to wait.
> ```

Hi Satoru,

Yeah, it needs some tweaking.

The backport tickets have been created automatically within a couple of
minutes of the master ticket getting moved to "Pending Backport" status
for a while now.

As for who is going to do the actual backporting, the "devs" in Adam's
email refers to full time engineers on the respective component teams.
For outside contributors, the message remains the same -- "someone else
would do it eventually but it may take some time".

I understood, thank you for the detailed explanation!

Satoru