Re: rgw: thoughts on lifecycle testing

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 12:35:24PM -0500, Casey Bodley wrote:
> but if our goal was the minimize the runtime of these tests, i would
> consider a model more like our https://github.com/ceph/ragweed/ tests,
> where each test case is split up into a 'prepare' step and 'check'
> step. we use ragweed in upgrade tests, which run the prepare step
> against an older radosgw version, and the check step against an
> upgraded radosgw
+1 on this idea in general, as somebody who's had to poke lifecycle.

> instead of relying on rgw_lc_debug_interval to scale the 'Days' in
> lifecycle rules, 'radosgw-admin lc process' could take a new argument
> like --rgw-lc-debug-offset=86400 that adds a day to the 'current' time
> used in lifecycle time comparisons. without relying on sleeps and
> rgw_lc_debug_interval, this should make the tests much more reliable.
> if there are test cases that check progress over multiple expiration
> cycles, the rgw/lifecycle suite would need to loop over more steps
> instead of just prepare/check
Rather than an offset, what about pinning the time that RGW thinks it
is?

That way we can upload objects as a known timestamp, and test at a
variety of faked absolute future times, rather than relying on offset
calculations.

This is a reminder I also need to upstream the patch that lets each
'radosgw-admin lc process' call on just a single bucket (and then a
specific shard in future).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer