Providing a Ceph upgrade path for Debian users

Dear everyone,

As you know, currently, Ceph release cycle allow upgrades from stable to stable+2, and allows only skipping one single release.

As per this page:

https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/general/

I can read:

"Starting with the Nautilus release (14.2.0), there is a new stable release cycle every year, targeting the month of March."

Currently, Debian 11 (aka: Bullseye) has Nautilus, and Debian 12 (aka: Bookworm) will have Pacific. However, Quincy is just around the corner, and it would be a great candidate for Bookworm, if we didn't have the upgrade path problem.

If this problem isn't solved, Debian Stable will *always* be out of date, one release behind, and that's *IF* Debian keeps the one release each 2 years cadence.

So my question is: could we attempt to solve this? There's just 2 ways it could be solved:

1/ Increase just a little bit the amount of time between Ceph releases.
2/ Allow skipping 2 releases, providing a Nautius to Quincy upgrade support.

I'm not sure how hard 2/ is, but that would IMO be the best option. If nothing is done, providing bugfix and security support in Debian will be a lot harder. If 2/ is too hard, then how about increasing the release cycle duration to something like 14 months instead of 12? This way, every 2 years, Debian will get closer to the Ceph release...

I'd very much prefer 1/. This way, in 2 Debian releases, Debian and Ceph will be in sync. This would only need to be supported for Nautilus->Quincy and for Quincy->Txxx (fun fact: this will be for Debian 13, aka Trixie, which also starts with a T... :) ), meaning other upgrade skipping 2 releases wont be necessary, as much as Debian users are concerned.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)