Re: [ceph-users] Support for alternative RHEL derivatives

On 12/14/21 1:02 PM, Benoit Knecht wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 05:06:09PM -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 7:02 AM Benoit Knecht <bknecht@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> As we're getting closer to CentOS 8 EOL, I'm sure plenty of Ceph users are
>>> looking to migrate from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream 8 or one of the new RHEL
>>> derivatives, e.g. Rocky and Alma.
>>>
>>> The question of upstream support has already been raised in the past, but at
>>> the time Rocky and Alma were pretty much clones of CentOS. However now they're
>>> about to diverge in subtle ways, so I'm wondering if
>>>
>>> 1. The upstream Ceph project plans on building and QA testing against Rocky
>>>    and/or Alma;
>>> 2. Specific packages will be provided on https://download.ceph.com/ for Rocky
>>>    and/or Alma, or if the packages built for CentOS Stream are expected to be
>>>    compatible (which goes back to the QA testing question above);
>>> 3. Any Ceph developers have been in touch with Rocky and/or Alma Storage SIGs;
>>> 4. Any Ceph users have already or are planning to migrate to Rocky or Alma.
>>
>> When this has been discussed in the CLT, we've generally planned to
>> stay with CentOS Stream as the rpm/RHEL-family distro we build and
>> test on, unless problems arise or something else happens to make us
>> re-evaluate. I know not everybody is going to be happy with
>> containers, but we've never been very successful trying to package for
>> more than 2 or 3 distros (generally Ubuntu and CentOS; frequently
>> Debian if the build dependencies are tenable), and between those two
>> and containers that you can deploy "anywhere" we're pretty comfortable
>> with the coverage we are providing directly. Some other distros have
>> their own packages and I'd expect that maintaining distro packages for
>> a RHEL clone will be pretty simple if somebody wants to take on that
>> task.
>
> Thanks a lot for your answer, it's very helpful. Of course as downstream users
> we'd prefer for upstream to be providing packages for every distribution under
> the sun

This is *NOT* what you should expect. You should expect your
distribution to do the work. Otherwise, distros are useless. Upstream
are generally not very good at packaging (not saying this is the case
here: this is just a generality), because they generally attempt to
package only a single thing (ie: their own software), and therefore,
don't have much experience with packaging.

What can be done though (and I probably will start doing that for
Debian/Ubuntu, if the community here agrees), is distro pushing the
packaging upstream.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: FYI, I'm maintaining Ceph packages in Debian.