Re: [ceph-users] Request for community feedback: Telemetry Performance Channel

[ Moved to dev@ceph as this is a technical thing, not user feedback or
concerns ]

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 1:54 PM Laura Flores <lflores@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> preview`. This same flow can be followed by channel, if preferred:
> `ceph telemetry show <channel_name>` or `ceph telemetry preview
> <channel_name>`.
>
> In the case of the perf channel, a user who is opted into telemetry
> (telemetry is on) may view a report of the perf collection with `ceph
> telemetry show perf`.  A user who is not opted into telemetry
> (telemetry is off) may view a preview of the perf collection with
> `ceph telemetry preview perf`.
>

> Metrics in the perf channel are reported on an individual
> daemon/pool/pg basis. As such, the length of the perf report will
> depend on how many daemons, pools, and pgs a cluster has. We decided
> to go this route instead of aggregating the metrics since aggregation
> abstracts the data and makes it difficult to identify problems from
> individual daemons, pools, and pgs. Metrics that the perf channel
> collects can be summarized by these categories:
>
>     1. perf_counters: All performance counters available to the
> manager module that have a "USEFUL" priority or higher. Counters are
> grouped by daemon types (e.g. mds, mon, osd, rgw). These metrics in
> the perf channel look very similar to the output you would get from
> the `ceph tell {daemon_type}.* perf dump` command.
>
>     2. io_rate: The current change in IOPS done on the Ceph cluster,
> fetched from the manager module. This includes a delta in pg log size,
> store stats, and read/write operations. We use these same metrics
> (num_read, num_read_kb, num_write, num_write_kb) to generate output
> from the iostat module.
>
>     3. osd_perf_histograms: 2d histograms that measure the
> relationship between latency and request size due to certain
> read/write operations on OSDs. The histograms collected in the perf
> channel are derived from the `ceph tell osd.* perf histogram dump`
> command.
>
>     4. stats_per_pg: A dump of IOPS, log size, and scrubbing metrics
> on a per-pg basis. We fetch this information from the manager module,
> but the output can also be found in `ceph pg dump`.
>
>     5. stats_per_pool: A dump of IOPS, pg log size, and store stats on
> a per-pool basis. We fetch this information from the manager module,
> but the output can also be found in `ceph pg dump`. We refrain from
> collecting pool names here to avoid any sensitive information.
>
>     6. mempool: Memory allocations grouped by container on a per-osd
> basis. The mempool metrics collected in the perf channel are derived
> from the `ceph tell osd.* dump_mempools` command.
>

> We are still in the process of adding these metrics:
>
>     1. rocksdb_stats: A dump of metrics used to analyze performance
> from the RocksDB key-value store, such as compaction time. These
> metrics will be derived from a new admin socket command that is
> undergoing review.
>
>     2. tcmalloc_heap_stats: A dump of tcmalloc heap profiles on a
> per-osd basis. These metrics would be derived from the `ceph tell

Perhaps you mean the "heap stats" output rather than "heap dump"? I'm
referencing the docs[1] to make sure i get this right, but "heap
stats" will disclose the tcmalloc allocation state, plus virtual and
physical memory in use. "heap dump" will contain the actual function
calls responsible for malloc() but requires the heap profiler to be
running, and running the profiler comes at a CPU cost (I think mild?)
and a memory cost (which can be quite severe). So unfortunately I
don't think we can expect to obtain that level of detail.
-Greg

[1]: https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/rados/troubleshooting/memory-profiling