Re: OSD fast shutdown and allocator''s map restoration (aka NCB)

Hi Igor,

Good point!  I forgot about the intersection of these two features.

(Just to confirm: the allocator change is new in quincy, right?  And won't be backported?  Just want to confirm this is affecting any users.)

The fast shutdown was introduced partly because in Octopus we want to set the dead_epoch value in the OSDMap, and at the time the quickest way to do that was to kill the process so that peers would get ECONNREFUSED and report the peer dead.

Given this new feature, I think it makes sense to change the clean shutdown process to (1) stop responding to messages immediately (play dead) and (2) ask the mon to mark us dead (MOSDMarkMeDead instead of MOSDMarkMeDown).  I think that's a matter of dropping incoming messages when we are in PREPARING_TO_STOP state or whatever it is.  Note that it is very important that we stop processing requests *before* we are marked dead in order to prevent potentially stale reads--"dead" means the OSD process is truly dead (vs unresponsive/slow or possibly partitioned away from us but still serving reads for some clients).

Anyway, this relates to https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/53327.  I plan to take a closer look this week.

sage