Re: rgw: streaming interfaces for object read/write

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Yuval Lifshitz <ylifshit@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> thanks for the info (and context)!
>
> the first set of usecases I would like to tackle are actually non-symmetric ones (unlike encryption and compression).
> for example:
> * a client is reading the content of a bucket that has images but wants to present low-resolution versions of the images (e.g. thumbnails). while the original uploaded of the images is a different unrelated client app
> * images may be watermarked based on which client fetches them
> * etc.
> it looks like most of the infrastructure is already there, and it should be straight forward to add a "lua filter" (deriving from RGWGetObj_Filter) to the list of filters.
>
> asymmetric "put" usecases should probably be handled out-of-band by using bucket notifications, where some external entity, reads the object, does the processing and writes the modified object just like any other client.
>
> the more challenging ones would be symmetric usecases (like encryption and compression), where the user might want to use different compression or encryption mechanism than the ones we are providing in our C++ code. for that, we would probably need to handle the "put" path as well inline.
>
> not sure if this is directly related to zipper as the RGWGetDataCB seems to be agnostic of the backend storage?

right. for RGWGetObj, all the data eventually streams through
RGWGetObj_CB to be written out to the client via the frontend. the
decompression and decryption filters are wrapping that. so if we
wanted to allow zipper stores the ability to transform the
unencrypted/uncompressed stream, we'd want to give them a chance to
wrap the stream before those other filters are added

in rgw::sal, this could look something like:

  virtual RGWGetDataCB* add_filter(RGWGetDataCB* cb) { return cb; }

which by default doesn't add any filters, but a store could override
this to return some other filter that wraps 'cb'