Ceph Leadership Team meeting 2021-08-04

The Ceph leadership team is composed primarily of team leads for the
various Ceph components. We meet weekly [1] to discuss project
direction, technical challenges, and plan events. The meeting minutes
are recorded on the Ceph etherpad [0]. Anyone involved in the project
is welcome to join.

Today we discussed struggles integrating the new ceph-mgr "nfs" module
with the dashboard. The problems surrounding this stem from two
parallel efforts to make configuring NFS exports easy for CephFS/rgw.
To help reduce competing efforts and help drive cohesive development,
we focused on discussing potential process improvements to create
cross-component knowledge and communication of projects. Some ideas
proposed:

- CDM "standup": have leads spend 15 minutes (in aggregate) discussing
on-going work and merged changes.

- Monthly email to dev@xxxxxxx by leads discussing component status/plans.

- More checkboxes for pull requests. Notably: dashboard or
cephadm/orchestrator. This will hopefully get PR authors/reviewers to
think about user experience and integration with
deployment/monitoring.

We also discussed diversifying CLT membership. Currently, the meeting
is dominated by Red Hat folks. We would like to get more participation
by other companies/institutions that are involved with Ceph
development.

There was some discussion about a mon labeling issue with cephadm [2].

Finally, we discussed how to improve the landscape for newer
developers to get involved, as part of outreach and diversification
(background) of developers. Some ideas pitched:

- More focus on making Ceph accessible to storage hobbyists (small
single node clusters)

- Detailed and up-to-date guides for submitting a change to Ceph.

- Hackathons/workshops at academic storage conferences.

That's all folks.

[0] https://pad.ceph.com/p/clt-weekly-minutes
[1]
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=9ts9c7lt7u1vic2ijvvqqlfpo0%40group.calendar.google.com