From: Surabhi GUPTA
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 5:47:47 PM
To: dev@xxxxxxx <dev@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Seeking advice regarding collecting better client and recovery throughput metrics

Hi,

I was running some experiments to measure client IO throughput and recovery throughput in a ceph cluster. I am a bit uncertain if I am collecting the metrics correctly. Could you please tell me if this is the right way or if I can do anything better to collect more accurate statistics?

To generate load on the cluster, I use the rados bench utility and plot the avg MB/s and cur MB/s values reported by the tool. For recovery, I am periodically querying the perf dump for each osd and looking at the recovery_ops and recovery_bytes. I then calculate the recovery throughput based on the difference in values obtained on successive querying and time difference between these queries.

I also saw that ceph health displays client iops and recovery iops. So one way is to periodically query "ceph -s", extract these values and use them for the analysis.

Could you please tell me which is the best way to obtain these metrics - In the sense that which one exposes more accurate instantaneous throughput values?
Is there any other method apart from these two that I should be looking at?

I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this!

Thank You,
Surabhi Gupta