Re: Can we deprecate FileStore in Quincy?

On 2-6-2021 21:56, Neha Ojha wrote:
On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 12:31 PM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1-6-2021 21:24, Neha Ojha wrote:
Hello everyone,

Given that BlueStore has been the default and more widely used
objectstore since quite some time, we would like to understand whether
we can consider deprecating FileStore in our next release, Quincy and
remove it in the R release. There is also a proposal [0] to add a
health warning to report FileStore OSDs.

We discussed this topic in the Ceph Month session today [1] and there
were no objections from anybody on the call. I wanted to reach out to
the list to check if there are any concerns about this or any users
who will be impacted by this decision.
That means that I need really get going on finishing the bluestore stuff
in the FreeBSD port. Getting things in has been slow, real slow, also due
to me being bussy with company stuff.

So when is the expected "kill filestore" date?
Currently, the proposal is to remove it in the R release (one release
after deprecation), which should be in March 2023. Would that give you
enough time to migrate?

If I can't get it in by then, that would be odd. In concept I already had it working but getting the code in is sometimes hard because the panels are sliding at quite some pace, and I do not always have time to keep up due to work requirements.

I'll probably modify/conditionalise the deperication remark for FreeBSD, not to
scare the few testing users that are there.

--WjW