Re: stop building/testing master on bionic

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 8:49 PM Kefu Chai <kchai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> tl;dr: can we stop building/testing master on bionic for a better GCC?
>
> long story: two months ago, we migrated[0] our CI jobs running "make
> check" from ubuntu/bionic to ubuntu/focal so we have access to more
> packages offered by focal for testing.
>
> but we are still suffering[1] from the ancient packages offered by bionic:
>
> - buggy tcmalloc. see https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/41340
> - GCC 7.5.0 shipped along with ubuntu/bionic. i think the support of
> std::filesystem is just the tip of the iceberg, as we've migrated to
> C++17, there will be more and more demand for a compiler and a
> standard library with better C++17 (and C++20 in future) support.
> GCC-7 has good support[2] of C++17, but that does not imply that
> libstdc++ shipped along with GCC-7 has.
>
> but we have to build and test on bionic[3], for couple reasons:
>
> - some upgrade tests from octopus are performed on bionic. for
> instance, see https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/qa/suites/upgrade/pacific-x/parallel
> - cosbench used by perf tests needs bionic: see
> https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/49139
> - // please note rados/thrash-old-clients/distro$/ubuntu_18.04.yaml is
> safe even after we stop building master on bionic, as we've
> switched[4] to cephadm for thrash-old-clients
>
> and because of https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/50218, we cannot use
> ubuntu-toolchain-r PPA repo for newer GCC.
>
> so, i propose we
>
> - drop building/testing master on bionic.
> - drop the upgrade test from pacific on bionic

I think we need to tread carefully here. Losing upgrade test coverage
is not ideal.

> - drop the cosbench workload from rados/perf test suites

I have confirmed again that https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/49139
continues to be a problem with focal so I've proposed
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/41486.

I'd be curious to know what's the most commonly used rgw workload
people use for benchmarking purposes. Perhaps, we should think about
integrating it with the perf suite.

Thanks,
Neha