Re: nautilus, octopus and pacific branches restored

Hi Ilya,

This process seems to have led to mistakes and wasted cycles by some (many?) contributors, such as me, and some of which you make reference to. For example, after the initial force-push on a base branch I unknowingly did a rebase on a backport branch, due to an automated email, only to have to undo the rebase once the base branch was restored. Some of my backports generated lots of extraneous emails, now list many additional contributors, along with some additional invites for reviewers.

First, did I miss an announcement ahead of time that this would take place and how I should handle the noise?

And will this process be used for future releases? I don’t know what the deficiencies of our release process are and why this work-around was the preferred option, but I’m left imagining that there must be a better way that’s far less noisy and disruptive.

Thanks for considering,

Eric