Re: docs backports

>> We do have the version-added directive in sphinx to help with this sort
>> of indicator, but it is harder to maintain - I just removed some
>> referencing cuttlefish last week!
>
> On this subject, I was reading
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/radosgw/multisite/ says "New in
> version Jewel." and there's six references to "Kraken".
>
> Are we good with cleaning up all references to EOL versions? The docs
> could simply describe the current behavior and avoid mentioning
> releases that are not active (defined on
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/)
>
> - Ken

I get where you’re coming from. Tealistically there are a significant number of people who are — for various reasons — running older releases, and we should not abandon them.  Sure, one can to a certain extent select an older release by editing the URL, but this isn’t ubiquitously known.

At a recent employer I inherited 15 or so Infernalis clusters.  Sometimes upgrading or replacing is feasible, sometimes it isn’t, so from personal experience I favor being sensitive to existing production installations.  Granted, over time that might get unwieldy, and if something mentions “The new Kraken release” that can and should be freshened; I made a few updates to that end last year.

— aad