Re: Streamlining backports

Hi Ernesto,

Although I'm only recently returning to backports, I've worked on hundreds of them a few years ago.

From the perspective of someone submitting a backport in an area of Ceph that they are not familiar with (that was rgw or Cephfs for me), it was
almost impossible to assert the complexity of a backport. Cherry-pick conflicts were sometime environmental (i.e. a tiny change in the context failed the cherry-pick) and did not indicate a problematic backport. And some clean cherry-pick were deceptively complex.

From a reviewer perspective I frequently had to take time and think carefully about the consequences of a backport, even when the pull request tests were all green and the cherry-pick was clean. I had to remember how things were back in version N-1 or N-2, evaluate one last time "is it really useful?", and think about all possible side effects.

It would be useful to roughly estimate how much time is wasted by backports submitters and reviewers because of work that can trivially be automated. For instance, as a reviewer, how much time would you save if there was an "clean-backport" label on a given backport?

My 2cts

On 22/04/2021 13:34, Ernesto Puerta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In order to improve the handling of backports (3 stable releases means x3 process amplification) and to focus attention on the ones really requiring thorough reviews, *what about using a label to indicate that the backport was conflict-less (e.g.: "clean-backport")? *
>
> It could start as a manual action, but if useful it could also be easily automated with a Github Action <https://github.com/marketplace/actions/multi-labeler> or directly from the ceph-backport script.
>
> Additionally, adding a size label (XL, L, M, S, ...) <https://github.com/marketplace?type=actions&query=label+size> might also help everyone
quickly understand the complexity and/or when searching PRs in Github.

> image.png
>
> These are just 2 things we may start doing right now without much effort needed. Further improvements might be launching the "ceph-backport" script directly from the BackportBot or syncing Github-Redmine to deal with the backporting paperwork.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Ernesto

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre