Re: docs backports

>> Hey folks, now that Pacific is out I wanted to bring up docs backports.
>> Today, docs.ceph.com shows master by default, with an appropriate
>> warning at the top that it represents a development version.
>>
>> Since the primary audience of the docs is users, not developers, I
>> suggest that we switch the default branch to the latest stable, i.e.
>> pacific

Agree.

>>  and apply the normal backport process to docs that are
>> relevant to the latest stable release as well.

As with any backport, we’ll of course want to be careful that docs changes to master are appropriate for the stable release.  Do you and/or Zac envision backporting as a fundamental part of docs contributions?  If so that will complicate the docs workflow a bit and will itself need some specific documentation.

> Is there a reason to limit docs only to one latest version?

Perhaps one has to draw the line somewhere?  The farther back one goes, the more work it takes to ensure that a given change is applicable to the release in question.  Over time the overhead and complexity of contributing has disuaded some docs contributors, so I’m wary of adding friction.