Re: k8s kernel clients: reasonable number of mounts per host, and limiting num client sessions

On Thu, 2021-04-08 at 17:43 +0200, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 1:45 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Our users lost the monitoring, so we are going to try to reproduce to
> > > get more details.
> > > Do you know any way to see how much memory is used by the kernel
> > > clients? (Aside from the ceph_inode_info and ceph_dentry_info which I
> > > see in slabtop).
> >
> > Nothing simple, I'm afraid, and even those don't tell you the full
> > picture. ceph_dentry_info is a separate allocation from the actual
> > dentry.
>
> I've just created 1000 cephx users and mounted a largish cluster 1000
> times from a single 8GB VM. I saw the used memory increase by around
> 1GB after the mounts were completed, and that memory is freed after I
> umount.
> The path that I mounted has an unpacked linux tarball. I ran 'find /'
> and 'md5sum linux.tgz' across 200 of those mounts simultaneously, and
> they all completed quickly, uneventfully, without any noticeable
> impact on memory consumption, (aside from what would be expected in
> the dentry and page cache).
>
> So, I'm concluding that this whole thread was noise; we can support
> hundreds of mounts per host without concern.
>
> Thanks for your time, Best Regards, Dan

No problem, and good to know!

We're definitely interested if you start hitting capacity limits. It's
possible that we could more aggressively share certain objects (maos and
such?) between mounts (and possibly rbd clients), but I don't see a
reason to go there until we need to.

Cheers,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>