Re: mempool and cacheline ping pong

Hi Loic:
> it is a laptop that I wiped out and reinstalled from scratch to use
> it for the duration of the test with no interference. Are laptops somehow immune to the
> problem?

Laptops are not immune to cacheline contention, but in my experience larger systems, with more cpus creates a better environment to see the contention.  With more threads of execution (OSDs?) running on more cpus, the cacheline contention and tugging shows up much better.

I was under the impression that those larger environments are similar to what Ceph is running in today where you're trying to minimize that contention.

We can try it first on your laptop if that's all you have, and we'll see what it shows us.  (But do try CentOS-8 instead of Debian).
Do you want to go that route first?

Jore