Stable releases team call for participation

Hi Ceph,

TL;DR: If you have one day a week to work on the next Ceph stable releases[0] your help would be most welcome.

The Ceph stable releases[1] - currently octopus[2] and nautilus[3] - are used by individuals, non-profits, government agencies and companies for their production Ceph clusters. They are also used when Ceph is integrated into larger products, such as hardware appliances. Ceph packages for a range of supported distribution are available at https://ceph.io/. Before the packages for a new stable release are published, they are carefully tested for potential regressions or upgrade problems. The Ceph project makes every effort to ensure the packages published at https://ceph.io/ can be used and upgraded in production.

The Stable release team[4] plays an essential role in the making of each Ceph stable release. In addition to maintaining an inventory of bugfixes that are in various stages of backporting, in most cases we do the actual backporting ourselves. We also run integration tests involving hundreds of machines[5] and analyze the test results when they fail. The developers of the bugfixes only hear from us when we're stuck or to make the final decision whether to merge a backport into the stable branch. Our process is well documented[6] and participating is a relaxing experience (IMHO ;-). Every month or so we have the satisfaction of seeing a new stable release published.

David Galloway (Red Hat), Nathan Cutler (SUSE), Loïc Dachary (Easter-Eggs), Yuri Weinstein (Red Hat), Abhishek Lekshmanan (SUSE) and Adam Kraitman (IBM) are the currently active members of the Stable release team. Their membership is not a lifelong commitment: it is a community effort and the size of the team fluctuates over time. I participated from the beginning until 2017 and returned after over three years of absence. With the release of Pacific scheduled for March 2021, additional work is expected and we would like to invite you to participate. If you're employed by a company using Ceph or doing business with it, maybe your manager could agree to give back to the Ceph community in this way. My employer[7] agreed when I asked: it's worth a try ;-)

Cheers

[0] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/general/#active-stable-releases
[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/general/#lifetime-of-stable-releases
[2] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/octopus/#v15-2-0-octopus