Re: Change to dev build frequency

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 5:14 PM David Galloway <dgallowa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> As of today, we will no longer be building packages for upstream
> ceph.git branches each time a PR is merged.  Instead, we will build each
> active (master, pacific, octopus, nautilus) branch twice daily ONLY if
> there were changes since the last build.
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/1743 makes this change.
>
> This job is now disabled:
> https://jenkins.ceph.com/view/all/job/ceph-dev-trigger/
>
> This job will handle ceph.git dev builds:
> https://jenkins.ceph.com/job/ceph-dev-nightly/
>
> The purpose of this change is to reduce the load on the CI builders.

The way teuthology-suite currently works, as a side effect of this
change I think we would need to supply a rather large "-n <number of
not-yet-built revisions that are allowed to be skipped>" argument when
scheduling suites against release branches.  Previously "-n 3" was
almost always enough and it took a minute or two for teuthology-suite
to figure it out.  Now with only two builds per day, it is going to
be more like 30 and take a long time.

The problem is that instead of querying shaman for the latest revision
that is built on all distros and jumping right there, teuthology-suite
just tries the tip, then goes back one commit, then two commits, etc.
Not sure how often folks schedule suites against release branches,
but we probably want to prioritize fixing this quirk.

Thanks,

                Ilya