Re: GitHub action based automation for running teuthology

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 3:50 AM Sunny Kumar <sunkumar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am working on GitHub action based automation for running teuthology
> on some batch of PRs.
>
> Following step describes this workflow:
>
> Step 1: Once any PR passes necessary checks( make etc) a newly
> introduced label `next` can be assigned to PR.
>
> Step 2: The `next` labeled PRs will be batched together and scheduled
> for the next teuthology run.
>
> The collected labels from all the batched PRs will be used for
> selecting the teuthology suite.
> Having said that, there are two options to batch and schedule a tethology run:
> 1. Batch all patch together
> 2. Batch patch component wise
>
> Both of the above options have their pros and cons one being the high
> number of teuthology jobs per run if batched together and more number
> teuthology runs if batched component wise.

It's not really the number of scheduled suite runs that matter, but
the total number of jobs. I'm inclined to think runs should be batched
together based on the component/suites they need to run through, since
we try to cross-pollinate the QA to catch obvious errors which cross
component boundaries, and non-obvious ones can be caught in master
integration.

I'm curious about the intention here, though -- do we expect all QA
runs to eventually be scheduled this way? If so, that sounds GREAT,
but for ease of error bisection we probably want to limit the number
of PRs which are batched together, or have some way to differentiate
between low- and high-risk changes so that we can push simpler things
through ASAP without them getting stuck behind more invasive patches
that cause test issues.
-Greg