pacific feature freeze - January 15

Hey folks, we're getting towards the end of the pacific cycle.
The component leads discussed and decided this time we're going to do a
hard feature freeze on January 15th, 2021.

After that, we'll branch off pacific from master, and use the usual
backport process to merge bug fixes - first going to master,
then backporting to the pacific branch. Since this is the same
procedure as the rest of the development cycle, it should cause
less confusion.

This will let us focus on stabilizing pacific and improving the test
suites, and make sure only changes consciously targeted for pacific are
merged there. As usual, we're targeting the release for March, so we'll
have ~2 months of stabilization.

Josh