Re: [ceph-users] Re: Vitastor, a fast Ceph-like block storage for VMs

Thanks Marc :)

It's easier to write code than to cooperate :) I can do whatever I want in my own project.

Ceph is rather complex. For example, I failed to find bottlenecks in OSD when I tried to profile it - I'm not an expert of course, but still... The only bottleneck I found was cephx_sign_messages=true by default. Now I always disable it. In fact I don't think Ceph needs those signatures at all because 99.9% of setups live in private networks. Ceph has ~1M lines of code. Vitastor has 22k :). Bluestore is complicated, SeaStore seems like it may also end up being complicated, there are a lot of other architectural things like RBD cache, RBD object map, immediate commit semantics for all writes and so on that can't be easily fixed. It would take MUCH more than a year to fix everything.

Ceph is great for object storage, but 1ms write latency in an NVMe cluster is something that annoyed me so much that I basically had to try to reinvent the wheel. So I hope my wheel will make its way into production at some point :)