Re: [ceph-users] Re: Migration to ceph.readthedocs.io underway

Hi Marc,

On 9/17/20 11:16 AM, Marc Roos wrote:

This[1] and natural evolution(?)

[1]
https://bootstrap-datepicker.readthedocs.io/en/v1.9.0/
Support Read the Docs!

Please help keep us sustainable by allowing our Ethical Ads in your ad
blocker or go ad-free by subscribing.

Thank you! ❤️

Thanks for the info! That prompted me to read up some more on this.

RTD is actually quite open and honest about their advertising model [1] and they do provide options to opt out of paid ads [2], so that's definitely an option that we should consider disabling, if we haven't done so already.

At present, I personally feel that the benefits of hosting the docs on their platform vs. doing it on our own infrastructure are an acceptable trade-off for ads, especially if these are about other open source projects only.

As RTD is really an aggregation point for a lot of other open source projects, it may also help us to gain visibility.

Of course, if "natural evolution" really kicks in and things get too intrusive/annoying, we should re-evaluate this and take action accordingly.

Lenz

[1] https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advertising/index.html
[2] https://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advertising/ethical-advertising.html#opting-out

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg
GF: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 36809 (AG Nürnberg)