Re: [CI] Will new docker rate limits affect upstream Ceph CI?

Hi John,

Am 25.08.20 um 23:02 schrieb John Fulton:
> On November 1st docker.io will rate limit anonymous pulls to 100 per 6
> hours [1]. What upstream Ceph CI jobs might be affected by this? E.g.
> ceph-ansible CI.
>
> The OpenStack TripleO project has CI jobs pulling the Ceph container
> from docker [2]. TripleO is already affected by current rate limits
> but the problem will get worse in November and the project is
> considering ideas [3], including local container builds for each job.
> At the moment that would only be OpenStack containers and I'm thinking
> about how to keep the Ceph in the TripleO CI.
>
> Is anyone in the Ceph community thinking about this?

Ceph was already heavily affected by the old rate limit. Thus we now have:

* quay.ceph.com to store temporary CI images
* an additional local docker.io registry mirror for pulling monitoring
containers.

See

> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/b849f8597fe013b42d05515fcc12c11a14374ce2/qa/tasks/cephadm.py#L1270-L1293

Nevertheless there are still some jobs that don't use this code and
instead directly pull from docker.io.

I think we will face some rate limiting issues. Mainly in a few
standalone jobs.

Sebastian

> Thanks,
>   John
>
> [1] https://www.docker.com/blog/scaling-docker-to-serve-millions-more-developers-network-egress/
> [2] https://hub.docker.com/r/ceph/daemon/
> [3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-July/016116.html

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg). Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer