Re: Proposal: Encrypted Namespaces

On 20/08/04 01:12PM, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 8/4/20 10:02 AM, Jason Dillaman wrote:

> > > The idea here was not to berate the current at-rest scheme, nor propose
> > > something as better than, but a use case where it is used instead of. Maybe
> > > I'm being naive, but the trade-off of having the storage system handling the
> > > namespace keys is not much different than having it handling the dmcrypt keys.
> > >
> > > I'm in no way saying that Ceph handling the secrets is better than having the
> > > clients doing their own encryption; it's just a different use case being
> > > addressed.
> >
> > Totally understand. I am just honestly interested if this solves a
> > known issue for Ceph users (regulatory or otherwise). i.e. would it
> > check all the same boxes to implement pool-level encryption vs
> > namespace-level encryption?
>
> Indeed, pools could even be used today (one pool on dmcrypted drives,
> another on drives without encryption) for similar security properties.

This is the main driver for this proposal, actually.

Indeed, having a policy of some pools going into dmcrypted osds vs others
going into non-encrypted osds works.

However, the problem we've been seeing is that there's demand for encrypting
those pools per-tenant, with different keys; some of this may have legal
implications.

Now, the real issue is not with being unable to achieve this with pools, but
the scale. Mapping a handful of tenants to specific pools may be feasible, but
go a bit above that and you will end up with a complex crush hierarchy, and
maybe not enough osds to ensure the mentioned requirements. And you'd end up
with a lot of (potentially small) pools.

The idea of encrypting namespaces instead aims at addressing this scenario.

  -Joao