[ANN] A framework for deploying Octopus using cephadm in the cloud

Hello all,

There's a framework [0] I've been working on for a while to deploy
Ceph in the cloud. For now, this is done through the Linode, LLC cloud
provider [1].

Primarily I use this for testing CephFS performance/behavior. For
example, it's fairly simple to create a decent sized test cluster with
150GB MDSs and 16x 16GB OSDs for a humble 1.7TB usable storage. Then
provision 100+ client machine nodes for executing workflows against
the Ceph cluster. This has been very useful for isolating aberrant
behaviors that are only uncovered at scale. All of the code/playbooks
I use for this purpose are also in the ceph-linode repository.

Early versions of this project used ceph-ansible but I have updated
the code to use the new cephadm deployment technology [2] in Ceph
Octopus release. The ansible playbook to deploy the cluster [3] is
delightfully simple.

Anyway, I thought it may be useful to the broader community to have an
option to try out cephadm on a throwaway cluster for pennies per hour
through a VPS provider. Getting a small cluster started should take
less than 10 minutes by following the README. I hope some folks out
there find this useful for their own testing. Feedback is welcome.

[0] https://github.com/batrick/ceph-linode
[1] https://www.linode.com/
[2] https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephadm/
[3] https://github.com/batrick/ceph-linode/blob/master/cephadm.yml

Full disclosure: I have no relationship with Linode except as a customer.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His