Re: ceph-dashboard-pr-backend overhead on PRs

On 6/29/20 11:45 AM, David Galloway wrote:

> On 6/29/20 11:12 AM, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question about "ceph dashboard backend API tests" status
>> and its ceph-dashboard-pr-backend job.  It appears to be completely
>> standalone which means that we are building everything twice for
>> each PR: once for "make check" and once for "ceph dashboard backend
>> API tests".  The only difference between these builds is that for
>> "make check" WITH_SEASTAR=ON is added.
>>
>> Can ceph-pull-requests job which is responsible for "make check"
>> be changed to run run-backend-api-tests.sh at the end and report
>> two statuses instead of one?  That is:
>>
>>   - run make
>>   - if successful, run ctest and report "make check" status
>>   - if successful, run run-backend-api-tests.sh and report "ceph
>>     dashboard backend API tests" status
>>

> This is doable.  I'll work on it.

I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is.  I wanted to have a
job similar to the -trigger job that would sequentially kick off
ceph-pull-requests, then ceph-dashboard-pr-backend but as far as I can
tell, there's no way to use the same slave.  It's way too much data
(40GB!) to repeatedly upload to Jenkins then to another slave using the
copyartifact plugin.

This is originally what I had in mind:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/compare/wip-combine-db-prs

I think we're just going to have to combine the jobs.  We can still use
the function I created in scripts/build_utils.sh.  It's just going to
take some time to figure out the conditional-step stuff to get the PR
status updated using it.  I'll try some more tomorrow but I'm on PTO
July 1 - 8 so it may have to wait.