Re: should we make nfs-ganesha an optional part of a ceph build?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 10:09 PM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (I sent this to a smaller list of folks yesterday, but I think it
> probably warrants wider discussion).
>
> Recently Varsha added the necessary infrastructure to bring up
> nfs-ganesha via vstart.sh. The current implementation requires that
> ganesha already be installed on the box (usually via distro packaging),
> but that poses a bit of a problem.
>
> A distro ganesha package will have likely been built vs. a completely
> different version of libcephfs and librados. Even if you build right off
> of ceph master branch, you won't get the benefit of any recent client
> bugfixes when you want to test ganesha. You'd have to build new ganesha
> packages, install them, etc.
>
> I think we ought to consider making a nfs-ganesha build an optional part
> of a ceph build (maybe enable it with cmake -DNFS_GANESHA=ON or
> something).

we tried to shorten the time running the "make check". that's why we
have qa/suites/rados/standalone tests. personally, i don't want to add
tests which cannot be categorized into unit test to "make check" even
if they only take less than 2 minutes to build.

probably we could add a task either performed by jenkins or by
teuthology for building and testing nfs-ganesha?

> It doesn't take very long to build it (typically only a minute or two on
> my box), and we could disable the parts that ceph doesn't care about
> (other FSALs primarily). We could also have vstart just error out when
> you run it with NFS=X on a build that didn't have ganesha enabled.
>
> OTOH, the potential downside here is that it'll likely add other build-
> time dependencies, and would require some extra cmake or scripting
> wizardry. Nothing insurmountable, but it might represent a maintenance
> burden going forward, particularly for something that's basically only
> going to be used for vstart.
>
> I'm also not sure how we'd do this in practice. I don't think you can do
> optional submodules, so we might have to look at other methods of
> pulling in the ganesha tree, or just live with it as a submodule that
> only gets used when ganesha is enabled.

adding ganesha as a subtree or a submodule does not make sense to me.
i see ganesha as a consumer of libcephfs and librados. in the long
run, if we go this way, the ceph repo will be bloated like a balloon.
not to mention, it's already very big now..

> Thoughts?
> --
> Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Regards