Re: should we make nfs-ganesha an optional part of a ceph build?

On Wed, 2020-06-17 at 10:16 -0400, Jason Dillaman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 10:09 AM Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (I sent this to a smaller list of folks yesterday, but I think it
> > probably warrants wider discussion).
> >
> > Recently Varsha added the necessary infrastructure to bring up
> > nfs-ganesha via vstart.sh. The current implementation requires that
> > ganesha already be installed on the box (usually via distro packaging),
> > but that poses a bit of a problem.
> >
> > A distro ganesha package will have likely been built vs. a completely
> > different version of libcephfs and librados. Even if you build right off
> > of ceph master branch, you won't get the benefit of any recent client
> > bugfixes when you want to test ganesha. You'd have to build new ganesha
> > packages, install them, etc.
>
> Is it not using stable APIs from those two shared libraries? i.e. QEMU
> is compiled and linked against librbd/librados, but I can set
> "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to pull in development versions if needed.

It is using stable APIs, and yeah that would be a simpler solution.

We do sometimes change how ganesha uses those APIs, or add new
interfaces that ganesha might call (and only conditionally build in),
but that's more rare and can be handled in other ways. Let me look into
just setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>