Re: osd_memory_target in Rook, set automatically via k8s Resource Requests, and hardware recommendations

That's more or less what the priority cache manager does automatically now whenever the aggregate cache size is periodically re-tuned to keep the process mapped memory under the memory target:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/common/PriorityCache.cc#L116

The problem is that it still doesn't guarantee that the kernel will (or even can) reclaim what we've freed.  We just do everything possible to make sure nothing is blocking it (regular heap releases, avoid THP, etc).

Mark