State of cephadm

Hi list,

let me quickly summarize the current state of the cephadm development
and give some insights in the current list of topics for the near future
and for the pacific release. For an introduction to cephadm, see [0].

With the initial Octopus release, cephadm was already able to deploy the
usual Ceph services. With the upcoming 15.2.2, cephadm will gain some UX
improvements, which make cephadm actually usable now.
In addition, cephadm can also now deploy NFS ganesha.

For the upcoming development, we have four themes where cephadm needs to
enhance:

1. Streamline the user experience

This consists of topics like making the current state of cephadm visible
to the user, improve the responsiveness of the CLI, improve the day 1
experience, improve the official documentation, an improved integration
with the Ceph Dashboard and improvements to particular services (RGW,
MDS, MGR, etc.)

2. Teuthology improvements

This theme contains things like making the dashboard use the cephadm.py
Teuthology task, enabling the RGW test again, making the CephFS test
runner compatible to cephadm, and allowing other Ceph components to base
on the cephadm.py task.

3. High availability.

We'd like to add the capability to cephadm to deploy high available
services. This might contain new services like haproxy, keepalived or
maybe some internal DNS.

4. Resilience

This contains items like adding an MGR thrasher to Teuthology and making
all commands of cephadm idempotent.

In addition to those four themes, there are also other topics as well:

* the current scheduler essentially randomizes the placement of daemons
  across the cluster. There are certainly many improvements possible
  here.
* It would be great to enhance cstart (similar to vstart, but with
  containers) and thus improve the developer experience
* Enhance the compatibility to Rook (daemon placements, upgrades of
  Ceph and OSDs management)

For more info, please have a look at the CDS a few weeks back: [1]

And if you'd like to get involved, feel free to join our weekly
orchestrator sync meeting on Monday or have a look at our tracker [2]

Best,

Sebastian

[0]: https://ceph.io/ceph-management/introducing-cephadm/
[1]: https://pad.ceph.com/p/orchestrator-pacific
[2]: https://tracker.ceph.com/projects/orchestrator/issues

--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg). Geschäftsführer: Felix Imendörffer