Re: senta and vossi in paddles?

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 1:32 PM David Galloway <dgallowa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/11/20 3:31 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:04 PM David Galloway <dgallowa@xxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:dgallowa@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hey all,
> >
> >     I've gotten a couple requests in the past 24 hours asking how to "lock"
> >     the new dev machines
> >     https://wiki.sepia.ceph.com/doku.php?id=hardware:vossi
> >
> >     These systems aren't in paddles so `teuthology-lock` isn't going to work
> >     here.  Is that something you all want?
> >
> >     My understanding is, historically, the rex and senta have been shared
> >     machines where there is a chance devs can step on each others' toes.  I
> >     get the desire to have exclusive use of a machine but I don't want to
> >     have to be the one to police machine-hogging.
> >

> > Yeah I don’t think we want to lock them. Is there a specific reason
> > people are asking?
>
> Nope
>

> > If we want to do stuff that involves changing the machine state for more
> > than adding new package dependencies, we should be working in containers
> > or VMs...
>
> It sounds like the concern is multiple devs running `make` at the same
> time slowing each other down.

Yeah we'll just have to learn to be polite to each other on that score.
We divvied up the rex boxes once upon a time to try and keep load on
them relatively even and then worked out how many cores we could
usually take. I guess the vossi are different distros so that's a
little weird (though I don't know if anybody cares?), but perhaps we
can do a wiki sign-up or something for them as well.
-Greg