Re: 14.2.5 QE Nautilus validation status

Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I would like to raise once again the discussion of improving our
> release process so that we can minimize these things happening at the
> very last minute.
>
> This isn't the first time we've hit issues that had to be reverted
> (luckily packages didn't get to download.ceph.com), and since we
> insist on owning the package and repository creation, there
> is no way we can retire a "bad" release that is available publicly.

In this case, there wasn't a build kicked off yet, so there shouldn't be
packages out yet, I agree improvements are needed. Maybe waiting for a
day after Sage's approval allows for these things to be caught like in
this release

> A few of the items that I believe could improve are:
>
> * Start having stricter development and freeze periods
> * Add a quiet period (or waiting time) of a week for a release to be public
> * Determine what the SHA to release is, so that testing can be done
> against that SHA

So far QE is freezed on a SHA, and now repos are also locked down, but
finding bugs outside of QE suite is usually one of the triggers that
causes a QE validated test also going back for build again. As we
improve our coverage hopefully this should die down (very optimistic
forward looking statements)
> * Avoid depending on back and forth emails asking leads if they are OK
> with a release or if they need another PR to be merged - let's define
> criteria to meet this.

I agree this increases the lead time, but here an EAFP approach often
leads to this critical fix was needed sort of a thing. Finalizing at the
CLT might be easier given the final results aren't out on a thursday.