Re: [sepia] Python 2 exodus is happening now [Was: Re: Transition to Python 3]

Hi Brad:

> I don't think I said it wouldn't. I was pointing out the difference
> between your statement that "/usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python2 will
> not be changed" in SLES and openSUSE and the current reality in Fedora
> 31 and that's where the "two distros are quite divergent in their
> approach apparently" came from. I'm not convinced we're on the same
> page.

What I'm trying (poorly) to say is: as long as we explicitly state "python3"
everywhere and diligently avoid "python", we'll be OK: we will not need to care
what "python" points to in a given distro.

The motivation for keeping "python -> python2" is/was to avoid breaking legacy
scripts. I guess the Fedora folks are not so concerned about that. And it seems
reasonable to expect even the more conservative distros to switch over to
"python -> python3", at some point in the future - when Python 2 recedes into
the cosmic background noise and the fear of breaking older scripts will have
subsided.

Nathan