Re: device class : nvme

Adding dev@xxxxxxx

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019, Muhammad Ahmad wrote:
> While trying to research how crush maps are used/modified I stumbled
> upon these device classes.
> https://ceph.io/community/new-luminous-crush-device-classes/
>
> I wanted to highlight that having nvme as a separate class will
> eventually break and should be removed.
>
> There is already a push within the industry to consolidate future
> command sets and NVMe will likely be it. In other words, NVMe HDDs are
> not too far off. In fact, the recent October OCP F2F discussed this
> topic in detail.
>
> If the classification is based on performance then command set
> (SATA/SAS/NVMe) is probably not the right classification.

I opened a PR that does this:

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/31796

I can't remember seeing 'nvme' as a device class on any real cluster; the
exceptoin is my basement one, and I think the only reason it ended up that
way was because I deployed bluestore *very* early on (with ceph-disk) and
the is_nvme() detection helper doesn't work with LVM.  That's my theory at
least.. can anybody with bluestore on NVMe devices confirm?  Does anybody
see class 'nvme' devices in their cluster?

Thanks!
sage