Re: Need feedback for Ceph User Survey 2019

On 2019-10-28T20:32:17, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did another pass and I think we can simplify.  I suggest we give up on
> the detailed per-cluster stats from a manual survey and instead rely on
> telemetry (and/or telemetry backport to mimic/luminous if we *really* want
> that data), and then consolidate this into a handful of easy questions in
> the general survey.

Ack.

> On the general part,
>
> - telemetry 'why' question: make it a "check all that apply" + comment

Yes.

> ...the add:
>
> - How many clusters do you operate?  [fill in number]
> - Which Ceph releases do you run?  Check all that apply
>    (list nautilus -> argonaut)
> - Total aggregate cluster capacity in TB [fill in number]
> - Largest cluster capacity in TB [fill in number]

Agreed. Though I'd also like to ask about node and OSD counts
(aggregate/largest).

We could simplify this by collapsing total/largest if they only have one
cluster - perhaps we can only show the "largest" column if >=2?

The capacity/node/disk count figures always look great in the survey
results, and will also allow us to have some comparison relative to the
last year's.

> - how many hosts, osds, osds per node, osd backends, redundancy
> - data protection scheme

I'd still like to ask about the data protection schemes, perhaps for the
one with the most data?

Alternatively, we could ask them for net vs gross vs used capacity and
try to compute that from that, but I'm guessing it's easier to ask them
for the top 3 schemes they use.

The OSD FileStore/BlueStore trends would also be quite useful at this
stage, again mainly for comparison purposes. I realize we'll eventually
get that from telemetry, but we're not quite there yet.

> A few of these still fall into the category of things we should capture
> with telemetry.. I'm not quite sure where to draw the line, but generally
> think we should lean toward simplicity.  Like, all of those Change items
> :)

Yes.

> Lars, WDYT?

Do we still have a chance to run this survey in 2019? End-of-year
survey?

Regards,
    Lars

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)