Re: orchestrator mds add|update

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:43 PM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2019, Sebastian Wagner wrote:
> > > - The 'name' here, IIUC, is the name of the grouping of daemons.  I think
> > > it was intended to be a file system, as per the docs:
> > >
> > >  The ``name`` parameter is an identifier of the group of instances:
> > >
> > >  * a CephFS file system for a group of MDS daemons,
> > >  * a zone name for a group of RGWs
> > >
> > > but IIRC the new CephFS behavior is that all standby daemons go into the
> > > same pool and are doled out to file systems that need them arbitrarily.
> >
> > We use this to set the name of the Rook CR, and this is afaik still
> > supposed to be the fs name.
>
> Patrick: this will be confusing the rook case too, right?  Imagine two
> CephFileSystem CRs, each saying 3 mds daemons, but in reality the pool of
> 6 MDSs will be assigned randomly-ish to either fs?

That's correct. MDSs are not distinguished in any way by the mons. We
should just use random alphabetical names for each daemon.

There may come a day when we want to assign new MDS daemons to a
particular FS. The most justifiable reason for it would be that a
production FS needs MDSs with more memory. I think we should do it
differently than with per-MDS configurations we had before. We would
also want to consider stretch clusters; the previous configurations
didn't describe that scenario easily.

--
Patrick Donnelly, Ph.D.
He / Him / His