Re: Seek help

+ dev@xxxxxxx

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:57 PM Rui Chang (Arm Technology China)
<Rui.Chang@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Kefu
>

> I am new to ceph. Currently I changed some code, and take a build. After that I can “make install” the image on my build machine which I make it as one node.
>
> But how can I install both dependent package and my ceph package on other nodes? How could I do a packaging easily and install on other nodes?

i encourage you to re-read
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/README.md .  i don't think
this problem is specific to Ceph. what do you do when you want to "do
a packaging easily and install on other nodes" when it comes to other
software? i'd just package it for whatever distro(s) the other nodes
are using.

> Will dpkg-buildpackage build my changes and dependent packages? Or should I use make-debs.sh?

dpkg-buildpackage builds the tree with debian/ directory. if the tree
contains your change, i think dpkg-buildpackage will build it. but i
don't think dpkg-buildpackage builds the dependent packages. the
package management system is supposed to fulfill the runtime
dependencies. make-debs.sh is a very thin wrapper around
dpkg-buildpackage.

actually, i'd recommend you read the document and then trial and error
a little bit. all of these are well documented, IMHO.