Re: Can I remove cephfs_data pool when using cephFS mode (mimic 13.2)

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM Valentin Bajrami
<valentin.bajrami@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> When I started setting up a test cluster, I created a cephfs_data pool since I thought I was going to use the replicated type for the pool. This turned out not to be to most ideal choice when it comes to usable disk space. So I decided to create another erasure coded pool with k=2;m=2 which I did. Please see the attached log file. I also attached the output of the pools from the dashboard.
>
> The problem is this. Whenever an OSD needs to be brought down, the cluster is going to rebalance and enter the degraded mode. The rebalance of the cluster takes a while since all the PG's need to be redistributed. Now I could use something like:
>
> ceph osd set noout && ceph osd set norebalance
>
> However, I want to be able to have the cluster recovered much faster but cephfs_data pool which has a lot of PG's which I cannot reduce (not able in mimic) is keeping the cluster busy. This pool isn't used for storing any data and I am not sure if I can remove this pool without effecting the th-ec22 EC pool.
>
> Anyone any thoughs on this?

Is the cephfs_data pool associated with the CephFS at all? From the
"ceph df detail" it looks like it is, which means you unfortunately
can't delete it — the "root" CephFS data pool stores backpointers for
all the files in the system and those are needed to resolve hard
links, support disaster recovery, and do a few other things.
You can check this by looking at the FSMap in detail and seeing which
pools are which.
-Greg