Re: Distributions tested and build for

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kyrlyo wanted to add openSUSE to the set of distributions that get build
> for and used by teuthology, for example:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/1356
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/1355
>
> However, seems officially there are "no plans" to add other platforms
> but Ubuntu and CentOS, so Alfredo closed the PRs.

Hey Lars. Adding a distro for builds is a very involved problem to
solve. We don't keep a detailed list of everything that is needed but
I will try to go over some of the well-known items:

1) for RPM-based distros, we must have an actual machine running that
distro (for example CentOS 7 for CentOS7 RPMs) - until we start using
mock where we can produce RPMs from any base distro.
2) A new distribution added *must* exist in the cloud provider (OVH in
this case) that can spin up a VM for builds (as of this writing, there
is only an opensuse42 image available from 2016)
3) *All* the building scripts must be revised to ensure that the new
distribution is accounted for. I did some of this work when adding
Ubuntu Bionic and it was non-trivial, error prone, and it took about
two weeks
to really get it right with the help of other people.
4) The services that ensure that images come up and are prepared to
build Ceph have to be udpated as well to ensure that the minimum
requirements are installed so that the machine is operational
5) If the new distro is Python3 only we will need to update all
tooling that interacts with a jenkins node - we are not there yet as
all our tooling is Python2 exclusive.

At Cephalocon, Ken Dreyer and me did a presentation on what exactly
entails building Ceph for both development and releases, the problems
we've faced and where we would like to head next. It might be useful
to go
through if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seHyiQT8YJM

A few of the things we brought up is that we (the Ceph infrastructure
team and our services) aren't prepared to accommodate multiple other
distributions and that we are trying to get away from taking on the
load of maintenance
in our systems and looking to other build/repo solutions. One of these
solutions is the CentOS storage-sig which we are trying to coordinate
to build and host repos for us there.

In addition to that, we mentioned that we would like to see a wider
community effort go into building and hosting Ceph in separate
systems, maybe with a special signing key (our release signing process
is pretty inflexible!) so that
others who are building development repositories can ensure their
authenticity, while giving us the ability to revoke keys as needed.

In the past, we've gotten asked to re-enable the Debian builds, which
puts us into a similar problem (maintenance burden, script updates,
and other items already mentioned), and we've had to turn that down.
As Ken mentions in the presentation,
we really want to be helpful and accommodating to the wider community,
but we can't do it on our own and with our infrastructure as it is
today - we are maxed out.

Distributing community signing keys, or allowing other builders to
submit status updates into shaman.ceph.com for testing scheduling is
yet-to-be-done work, but I am open to have those conversations so that
we can move forwards with
more distros and better testing.