Re: protecting snapshots

On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 09:53:05AM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>On 2019-08-01T19:03:11, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Is a virtual xattr on a virtual directory a bad idea?
>> Seems fine to me.  It is a bit awkward from the command line, though.
>
>Well, [gs]etfattr exist, so not too bad, but I agree:
>
>> What about 'chattr +e' (or 'chattr -e'), which normally sets the immutable
>> flag for local file systems?
>
>Yes, I think that's better. (Though I think you mean "i", not "e"?)
Agreed. I suppose cephfs-shell could offer an interface without a mount (if it
doesn't already)

>One of the reasons for why we considered xattrs though was that it'd
>allow us to store some more metadata associated with the snap.
>
>Consider - when creating a snap of "dir", is the ctime/mtime of the
>dir/.snap/name now the values of "dir/." at the time of the snapshot, or
>the snapshot creation time?
>
>I think the the former would make more sense, but where then to store
>the snap creation time? Let's stuff it into an xattr.
We have this already. When mkdir .snap/foo we have the snapshots ctime from
.snap/foo while preserving the contents ctimes, mtime and atime.

>Similarly, we talked to someone very familiar with NetApp, and they
>mentioned that it can be hard to figure out when/who/why a snap was
>created. That's information we could store in the mgr module, but that
>makes it somewhat more awkward. Having this in xattr metadata would be
>useful and consistent (and accessible through standard CLI tools and
>calls).
So we have the When covered. Do we really need Who and Why in an xattr?

>(e.g., even if the free-form-ish description wasn't populated
>automatically, the MDS could auto-fill the timestamp and uid/host that
>triggered the snap.)
>
>Thus we ended up thinking that the immutable flag might belong in there
>as well. But since there is a dedicated file attribute for that, I agree
>that this flag is a better fit.
>

>Regards,
>    Lars
>
>--
>SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)

Jan Fajerski
Engineer Enterprise Storage