Re: Python 2 support in Octopus

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:20 AM Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adding Alfredo, Ken, and dev@,
>
> I think there are some open questions about when the needed
> py3 dependencies will be in place?

My PR is still open https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/25969 where Ken
addressed this question at:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/25969#issuecomment-478648863

There are a few things in there that are still not resolved (like the
python34 vs python36 prefixes), and CentOS8 not being out.

I would love to see EPEL 7 starting to provide the Python3 packages we
need, but if CentOS8 comes first, then we should just go with that.
Until
then, I don't think we can do much to be Python3 only.

We can't determine the removal of Python2 support for a given release
without having distros providing the Python3 packages we need, and in
the case of
CentOS there is no release date announced.