Re: [RFC] Lifecycle policy to expire empty buckets

Hi Prasad,

As I and Casey noted in the PR, the obvious way would be to extend the
lifecycle grammar to introduce a new rule element.  As I noted, this
is the path we've already followed with IAM policy, without any
notable issue.  The schema checking that existing tools may be doing
(sometimes just by using XML interfaces, I suspect) reveals a need for
processes (contributions to those tools, perhaps reference to
different schema when using them?) to allow for more orderly evolution
of S3 in the community.  From what I understand, haven't you also
found that some tool versions took issue with new status code tokens,
as well?

Matt

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 6:10 AM Prasad Krishnan
<prasad.krishnan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Ceph developers,
>
> Recently in the context of reviewing PR: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/28787 we got into a conversation about what would be a good practice to introduce an AWS-S3 unsupported feature in Ceph and how upstream libraries/SDKs would react to the new feature addition.
>
> More specifically, I'm intending to introduce a feature through which a bucket can be deleted by lifecycle (LC) configuration upon expiry, subject to a few conditions such as the bucket being empty + it should be past the expiry date (or aged beyond expiry_days since ctime).
>
> The RFC here is around how the end-user should specify this LC-Rule for bucket expiry. I've chosen to convert the 'State' field in the LC-Rule into a tri-state from a boolean i.e. 'Disabled'/'Enabled'/'Purge_Enabled' (instead of having only the first two states) and it has the following advantages:
> a) It is non-intrusive i.e. existing users of LC who have no interest in bucket purge need not make any changes to their code
> b) It can be easily enabled by interested users without requiring a patch on their SDKs (which allow a pass-through of the Status string).
>
> Does the community feel that this approach is good or are there any better suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> K.Prasad

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.